OUR HERITAGE

Watkins & Sons Funeral Service's history goes back to 1936 when Earl L. Watkins moved his family from Arkansas where he was a licensed pharmacist and had owned and operated a drug store. He came to Missouri to engage in the selling of burial insurance for area funeral homes.

While in Dexter, he learned that Marshall T. Jamison of the Rice-Jameson Funeral Home wanted to sell his interest in the business. On July 13, 1936, Mr. Watkins pruchased Mr. Jameson's interest and in less that two months, he had purchased Nole Rice's interest to become the sole owner.

Mr. Watkins eventually opened other funeral homes in the area. Funeral homes continue to operate in Dexter, Puxico, Parma and Morehouse today.

His sons Marsh and Ike eventually joined their father in the business. The third generation of the family is now involved in the business as Mike, Stephen, and Richard Watkins have joined the firm.

Earl L. Watkins felt that the most important aspect of his business was to provide quality professional service. Although times and traditions have changed, our family and staff continue the pledge that quality professional service will be what is expected of us.

Earl L. Watkins
January 10, 1892 - January 26, 1980

Watkins & Sons Funeral Service in 1936









Watkins & Sons Funeral Service Today